Are you in need of a way to better connect with site visitors, long after they leave your website? It’s not enough to publish valuable content for site visitors to read or have a stellar eCommerce shop for customers to buy from. If you really want to succeed in this competitive digital landscape, you’re going to need to get into email marketing. But in order to do that, you’ll need to choose from the best email service providers in the market first.
Today we’re going to share with you the top email marketing service providers around so you can pick one and start sending email campaigns right away.
And in case you want to jump ahead, we’ve created a table of contents so you can skip ahead to the section you want to read:
- Why Email Marketing Is so Important
- How to Choose the Best Email Service Providers
- Campaign Monitor
- Constant Contact
- Picking from the Best Email Service Providers
Why Email Marketing Is so Important
Email marketing is the best way to stay in touch with site visitors long after they leave your website.
But the truth is, email marketing has many more benefits than just building stronger relationships with your target audience (as important as that is):
- Make More Money: it’s well known that email marketing has an impressive ROI, especially when compared to other marketing strategies. But just how impressive is it, you ask? According to Campaign Monitor, for every $1 you spend on email marketing, you can expect to earn upwards of $44 dollars. That’s a lot of money if you ask me.
- Increase Sales: connecting with people after they leave your website through email is a simple and easy way to get them back to your site and buying more. Not only does email marketing outperform social and organic traffic, you can sneak special deals, coupons, and promotions in email campaigns to convince people to come back and spend more.
- Create a Loyal Following: it costs approximately 5x more to acquire new customers than it does to retain existing ones. So, in an effort to target existing customers and turn them into long-term, repeat buyers, you should work to reach out to them in their inboxes where they’re likely to recognize your brand, click your email, and visit your site. And if you do it right, this will happen over and over again, boosting your Customer Lifetime Value stats.
How to Choose the Best Email Service Providers choose
Choosing from the best email marketing service providers can be challenging if you don’t know what to look for or even what you need in an email provider.
That’s why before we jump into the list of top email service providers, we’ve rounded up the top things to look for while making a decision:
- Ease of Use: no one willingly picks the hardest to use solution in the market. Unless they have a lot of time on their hands, I guess. But even then, picking an email provider that’s easy to use and integrates with your form building solution is the best option.
- Automation: your email service provider should make marketing easier on you. One of the best ways it does this is through campaign automation. In other words, when people subscribe to your email list, or interact with your website in specific ways (e.g., make a purchase from your online store), an automated email should be sent to that person right away without you having to do a thing.
- Analytics: the only way you’re going to improve your marketing efforts is if you track how your current email campaigns are working for you. You’ll want to know which campaigns convert the highest, which ones are ignored, and everything in between.
- Price: as with most things in life, price will almost always play a role in your final decision.
So, now that you know what to look for, let’s compare the top email service providers and see which one best suits your needs.
Mailchimp is more than just an email marketing service provider. In fact, it’s an all-in-one marketing platform that lets you build a bigger email list, as well as create landing pages, Facebook ads, and signup forms you can easily embed on your WordPress website.
Some of Mailchimp’s best features include:
- Pre-designed templates for creating highly-converting email campaigns to meet your needs
- Real-time stats and revenue reports for tracking your ROI
- Integration with other marketing tools such as Zapier, Salesforce, and FreshBooks
- Segment contacts into groups for sending targeted emails
- Personalize emails using merge tags
- Schedule email deliveries so they reach subscribers at the optimal times
- Trigger autoresponder emails based on user activity
|Thorough reporting to help you make data-driven decisions||Can have a steep learning curve if used to other email service providers|
|Affordable freemium plans to meet budgets of all sizes||Frequent updates mean a lot of adjustments|
|Clean and easy to use template editor||Limited customer support – must invest in a higher priced plan|
Price: Free up to 2,000 subscribers. Premium plans start at $9.99/month for up to 50,000 subscribers.
Campaign Monitor is a powerful email marketing service provider that comes with a beginner-friendly drag and drop campaign builder. In fact, as one of the leading marketing tools around, Campaign Monitor makes creating engaging campaigns a breeze.
Some of Campaign Monitor’s best features include:
- Hundreds of pre-built templates that you can customize to match your brand or business
- List segmentation and automation based on user interest and behavior
- Monitor email opens, clicks, shares, and bounces
- Track subscriber behavior (active, inactive, and unsubscribed) to keep your list clean and costs down
- A/B test images, subject lines, and even content to find out what people like
|Simple, beginner-friendly interface||Transferring campaigns from elsewhere is difficult|
|White-labeling capability for those who know HTML||Limited customer support – must invest in higher priced plans for email and phone support|
|Easy to understand template language|
|Templates organized into niche and industry categories|
Price: Free plan includes up to 5 subscribers so you can test things out. Premium plans start at $9/month for up to 2,500 subscribers.
Constant Contact is one of the most popular email service providers in the market. It’s especially great for small business owners looking to promote their brand and expand their reach.
Some of Constant Contact’s best features include:
- Over 100 pre-made templates to help you build email campaigns
- Easy to use drag and drop campaign builder
- Manage email lists from all devices and locations – desktop, tablet, laptop, and mobile
- Access email contacts from social media
- Import contacts from Gmail, Excel, or Outlook
- Built-in heat tracking tools to gauge user engagement
- Track metrics like unsubscribes, bounces, and inactive emails
- List segmentation based on user activity
|Great customer support – live chat, email, forums, and phone support||Lacks some advanced automation features (e.g., combining actions and conditions)|
|High email deliverability rates||Embedded email optin forms limited to 200 signups/day|
|Generous 60-day free trial||No free plan|
|Build email list through Constant Contact account, website forms, or Facebook app|
Price: After your 60-day free trial, plans start at $20/month and prices increase as your list gets bigger.
Drip is a great email marketing provider for eCommerce shop owners that want to provide extra value to their customers and encourage new subscribers to buy. But more than that, it also works for bloggers and marketers looking to have smart interactions with people via email.
Some of Drip’s best features include:
- List segmentation based on user behavior
- Customized emails for a more personal experience
- Visual email builder to help with campaign creation
- Custom made conversion reports for accurate metrics tracking
- Multi-channel marketing so you can reach people through email, text, snail mail, and even social media
- Workflow split testing to discover what earns you the most money
- Drip campaigns sent at certain time intervals
|Perfectly tailored for eCommerce shop owners||Complicated campaigns and sales funnels|
|Highly advanced tagging system for more targeted campaigns||Becomes expensive as your email list grows|
|Automated email re-sends to those that didn’t open the first time||No built-in landing page builder, which would work really well for eCommerce merchants|
|Shareable workflows that automate all email campaigns from start to finish|
Price: Plans start at $45/month for up to 2,500 subscribers.
ConvertKit is a great email provider for writers, bloggers, and publishers looking to build a loyal following of readers.
Some of ConvertKit’s best features include:
- Visual automation builder for creating effective email funnels that covert subscribers
- Customizable templates to build signup forms, popups, course signups, and even landing pages
- Send lead magnets to subscribers in exchange for their email addresses
- Enable double optin and make sure you’re GDPR compliant
- Deliver new blog posts to subscribers as soon as they’re live
- Send plain text emails for a personal touch
|Industry leading deliverability rates||Limited form customizations|
|Easy to use dashboard for managing leads, campaigns, and metrics||Is quite pricey|
|Built-in split testing for making improvements||Reports lack depth and make it harder to analyze campaign effectiveness|
|Very responsive support team|
Price: 14-day free trial to test out the features. Premium plans start at $29/month for up to 1,000 subscribers.
AWeber is a top notch email service provider and lead generation tool that has everything you need to market your brand and grow your business through email.
Some of AWeber’s best features include:
- Automated email series to drive people through your sales funnel and convert
- Tagging system to organize subscribers based on user activity
- Library of 6000+ royalty free stock images
- Newsletter creation with drag and drop builder
- Create mobile responsive forms that render on all device types
- Direct integration into your WordPress website, landing page, or optin form builder
- Unlimited email sends
- New blog posts delivered to all subscribers
- Track data and deliverability rates
|Great support in the form of live chat, phone, and ticket-based emails||High price for low subscriber amounts|
|Comprehensive marketing tool to help businesses succeed||Infrequent updates sometimes date this email provider|
|Easy list management systems for running smooth email campaigns|
Price: 30-day free trial, then plans start at $19/month for up to 500 subscribers.
Picking from the Best Email Service Providers
It can be tough to decide which email service provider is the best option for your marketing needs. That’s why we’ve recapped each to help you out:
- Mailchimp: best for those that are on a limited budget, don’t have much experience with email marketing, or are just get started.
- Campaign Monitor: ideal for those who prefer ease of use over everything else.
- Constant Contact: great for small businesses looking to promote their brand and build their customer base.
- Drip: best for eCommerce shop owners that need advanced email marketing features and analytics.
- ConvertKit: perfect for writers, bloggers, and publishers looking to build a bigger email list of loyal readers and followers.
- AWeber: ideal for those who want a lead generation tool that goes beyond email marketing and don’t mind paying for it.
And there you have it! The best email service providers in the market for anyone looking to convert more people into subscribers and customers.
If you’re ready to ensure the best user experience for your subscribers once they come back to your website, be sure to check out the top ways to speed up WordPress.
Which email marketing service provider do you use to promote your brand? We’d love to hear all about it in the comments below!