One of the things that separates WordPress from other blogging software out there is the fact that it is open source, and the benefits that go along with being open source. If you aren’t very good at coding, or good with PHP in particular, then the WordPress community has come to the rescue with WordPress plugins, which will allow just about anyone to easily add additional functionality to their blog. With the free WordPress plugins that various authors write and contribute from around the globe, WordPress has gained a lot of flexibility, causing it to be more attractive to potential bloggers.
As this site is dedicated to WordPress, I thought it would be a good idea to have a featured post dedicated to the best WordPress plugins available. This post is a constant work in progress, and will continue to be updated as I feature more plugins on this website. After each plugin, you should find a quick description, as well as a link to the full review. I have also broken the plugins down into categories for easy reference.
Premium WordPress Plugins
– All Around Premium –
- WPMU Dev Plugins – WPMU Dev is a premium WordPress plugin resource that has lots of premium plugins such as a great e-commerce install, SEO plugins, and a world-class backup solution.
– Advertising –
- Billboard + Rotating Images – Two Premium WordPress plugins that allow you to easily add images like advertisements, photos, featured homes and social icons to your widget-ready sidebars and feature areas.
- OIO Publisher – Complete plugin that removes all hassle for bloggers who manage advertising. Automates banners, text links, paid reviews, and collects the money for you. [Full Review]
– Maintenance –
- Backup Buddy – All-in-one solution for backups, restoration, and migration. The single backup file created by the plugin can be used with the importer script to quickly and easily restore your site on the same server or even migrate to a new host with different settings. Whether you’re an end user or a developer, this plugin is sure to bring you peace of mind and added safety in the event of data loss.
- Email Buddy – EmailBuddy is an email newsletter solution for WordPress. Building email lists around your blog, or your products and services, is a vital marketing function. Despite the popularity of social media like Twitter and Facebook, email marketing is not dead. You can’t rely on people coming back to your site or knowing about your new launches. Simple text-based group emails are extremely effective at getting your message out to the right audience. With EmailBuddy, you can do that and more!
- Genesis Connect -Build a social network for your company, school, sports team or niche community all based on the power and flexibility of the Genesis Framework and WordPress. Activate the free BuddyPress plugin along with Genesis Connect and instantly your website becomes a social network!
- Gravity Forms – Premium WordPress plugin which allows you to build a completely custom contact form for your WordPress websites/blogs.
– Media –
- Display Buddy – DisplayBuddy is a collection of plugins designed to showcase images, video, and text uniquely and easily on your WordPress site in a visually pleasing way. Each individual plugin is designed to allow easy customization controls and ways to put your content groups onto your site with features such as widget and shortcode support. All plugins include automatic upgrades & quality support.
Free WordPress Plugins
– Admin Tools –
- Gamer’s Pack – Makes your blog viewable using the Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii, and PSP gaming systems. [Full Review]
- GoCodes – Easily create redirects from your WordPress Dashboard that point anywhere. Great for hiding affiliate links. [Full Review]
- Google Sitemap – Creates a fully-compliant sitemap for search engines. [Full Review]
- Jetpack – Supercharges your self-hosted WordPress site with the awesome cloud power of WordPress.com. [Full Review]
- WP-DB Manager – Plugin that gives you full control over your WordPress database backups. Works with the WordPress Backup plugin. [Full Review]
- WP-Super Cache – Creates a cache of your posts to avoid server load. Great for surviving a Digg. [Full Review]
- WPTouch – Creates a cache of your posts to avoid server load. Great for surviving a Digg. [Full Review]
– Comments –
- Show Top Commentators – Allows you to display your top commentators automatically in a place of your choosing. Great for encouraging comments. [Full Review]
- Smilies Themer – Plugin that offers a variety of smilies styles to place in the comments section of your blog. [Full Review]
- Subscribe to Comments – Allows readers to receive e-mail notifications when a follow up comment is left. [Full Review]
– Feeds –
- Feed Footer – Allows you to use HTML to add a custom footer to your blog’s feed. Plugin also supports randomizing up to 10 different footers. [Full Review]
- RSS Footer – Basic plugin that allows you to easily add copyright notice, etc. [Full Review]
– Maintenance –
- Server Buddy – ServerBuddy tests server configuration to look for problems with hosting configuration and determine compatibility with various WordPress themes and plugins. Additionally it provides easy to understand explanations of various server settings and generates reports and samples of what to ask your hosting provider if a problem is found with any server configuration that needs fixed. ServerBuddy is designed to be extremely powerful but still provide information in an easy to understand way for even a novice.
– Related Posts –
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin (YARPP) – Currently the ultimate/best related posts plugin available for WordPress users. Includes related posts for your feed! [Full Review]
– SEO –
- All-in-One SEO Pack – The Ultimate SEO WordPress plugin. Allows you to set your homepage meta information and automatically generate custom meta information for your individual posts. [Full Review]
- Permalink Redirect – Creates a 301 Redirect to avoid duplicate content penalties with search engines. Also includes a Feedburner redirect. [Full Review]