I’ve noticed a lot of themes that don’t come with numbers on the blog’s comments. This might not be such a bad thing if you don’t get very many comments, but if your blog does get comments it is probably a good idea to show off how many comments you get by numbering them.
Here are the steps you can take to easily add numbers to your WordPress theme’s comments section.
- First thing you will want to do is create a backup your comments.php file.
- Locate the comments.php file.
- Locate the code that starts the comment loop. It will look something like this:
<?php if ( $comments ) : ?>
- Place this code immediately above the code in Step 3:
<?php $i = 0; ?>
- Now locate the code that looks like this:
<?php foreach ($comments as $comment) : ?>
- Placed this code immediately below the code in Step 5:
<?php $i++; ?>
- Now use this code where you want to display your comment numbers:
<?php echo $i; ?>
- Click Save.
- Now go to your stylesheet (style.css) and place this code anywhere on the stylesheet (probably best placed in the comments section):
You can adjust the stylesheet to fit your comment numbers into the placement and appearance that you want them to have.