Yesterday in my post about moving your blog to a new domain, I mentioned that there is a problem that presents itself when posts are imported into WordPress 2.5 or later. A quick search determined that I wasn’t the only one having this problem, so I decided to document how to fix this problem here (or at least how I was able to fix it).
Here are the steps I took to fix the problem with the unresponsive script in the Write panel (requires CPanel/PHPMyAdmin access):
- Please make a backup of your database in case you run into any problems. These are the steps that worked for me to fix the problem, but I can’t guarantee they will work for everyone.
- Login in to your CPanel. This is usually found at http://yourdomain.com/cpanel/ and usually uses your FTP password.
- Access your PHPMyAdmin (in CPanel this is usually found at the bottom of the MySQL Databases page).
- Click on the MySQL database you created for your new WordPress installation in the menu on the left.
- Click on wp_postmeta in the list of tables on the left.
- Click the Browse icon.
- Click on the post_id tab once to sort the list from 0 to higher.
- Now you’ll need to delete anything with a post_id of 0. Depending on how many posts were imported, there may be a lot of zeroes. I had about 600 of them to delete.
The best way to do this is to locate the boxes with “row(s) starting from record #” between them. In the front box put 100 (or whatever number of your choice) and always put 1 in the right box. Click Show. You can use the select all button and verify all of them are zero. Uncheck any that aren’t zero and click Delete. Repeat until all zeroes are gone.
Now open your Write panel in your new blog’s dashboard and everything should be good!